2018 Swimsuit Guide: Finding the Perfect Suit for Whatever You’re Doing
Have you ever flipped through a summer clothing catalog and thought, “there’s no way I could actually swim wearing that!” Despite being lumped into a single category of “swimwear,” the actual choices we have run the gamut from practical-but-boring suits to cute-but-complicated strappy numbers—and that got us thinking: why compromise between fashion and function?
By the looks of the 2018 swimsuit trends we’ve seen, you’ve got plenty of options to find a suit that fits, flatters and stays put, no matter what you’re doing. We’ve put a twist on the usual swimsuit guide below and paired up some fabulous suits with their perfect activity companion.
High performance suits for athletic endeavors
Swimming laps? Playing volleyball on the beach? Lucky for you, fuller coverage suits, such as sports bra tops, high waisted bottoms, and even rash guards are in for 2018, giving you plenty of options to stay sporty and stylish.
Our tips: Make sure you don’t sacrifice comfort and support when shopping for a suit you’ll wear for sport. It’s probably best to stick to classic lycra/spandex or nylon, which dry quickly, stretch and move with your body, and won’t get ruined by salt, sand or chlorine. If you’re augmented or have a naturally bigger bust, look for suits with more structure up top: underwire, panelling, and a sturdier racerback sports-bras are good options.
Suits to check out:
- TYR is well known for its competition apparel, but they’ve got plenty of cute options beyond their standard practice suit, such as this tie-back print bikini
- Title Nine is our hero—they have a great selection of suits sized by bra size to help you get the right support for your activity
- We also love these simple but elegant high-waisted bikinis from Reformation and Anthropologie; they’re pretty without being too skimpy
Gorgeous pieces for poolside trendsetters
Lounging by the pool and hoping to show off all your good sides? Form over function is fine—you don’t need to strap down the girls for relaxation time. This year, cheeky bottoms and funky fabrics (think crochet and crushed velvet) are en vogue, so if you’re looking to add some whimsy to your wardrobe, the swimwear department is a great place to start.
Our tips: While skimpy, strappy suits can be a lot of fun, you’ll need to be extra-vigilant about applying SPF (and not just to avoid crazy tan lines). Even trendy cover-ups won’t adequately block UV rays. Protect your skin with broad spectrum SPF 30 or higher, and reapply every 2 hours you’re outside. If you need a product recommendation, talk to our skincare experts here at PSCHR.
Suits to check out:
- This cute daisy print bikini from Topshop offers feminine flair for a reasonable price (and the crop-top is perfect for showing off your new shape after breast augmentation with just enough coverage).
- This seductive one-piece from Lybethras is a stunner (if you love this suit but worry about drawing attention to a belly pooch, our Hampton Roads CoolSculpting technician can help you slim your tummy without surgery).
Sophisticated & sexy for summer romance
Beach date with your beau? Keep it casual but flirty with one of this season’s hottest trends: a plunging one piece. Both plunging fronts and plunging backs are in right now, so whether you want to show off your sexy back or draw eyes to your feminine curves, you’ll be in keeping with the latest trends.
Our tips: Whether you’re going on a first date or looking to stoke the fire with your long time companion, the trick is to play up your own favorite features—that’s a surefire way to boost your confidence (and we all know that confidence is sexy). That’s the beauty of the plunge—it offers coverage in most areas, but lets you pick what feature to reveal.
Suits to check out:
- This elegant suit from Becca Etc. has the cleverest plunge we’ve seen, plus some strappy back details to show off your sexy shoulders.
- For an extra dose of wow, consider this corset-style bodysuit from Luli Fama—it plunges in the back, front and sides while still staying SFW. (We also adore this shimmery plunge piece, also from Luli Fama).
- Not into the plunge? This beautiful one-shoulder ruffle bikini from Shein has fun and romance written all over it.
Do-it-all showstoppers for your summer vacation
We all want an extra special swimsuit for our long-awaited vacation. If you’re mostly beachcombing but still want to feel confident taking a quick dip or leisurely snorkeling excursion on your vacay, you need a suit with basic support and coverage, but not necessarily the heavy-duty aspects of an athletic suit.
Our tips: consider what’s most important to you when choosing a special vacation swimsuit. Do you want to feel covered no matter what (even if a waterslide is involved)? You may do best with one-piece suits, wider strap halter tops, or fuller coverage bottoms with a drawstring for security. Do you envision yourself standing out from the crowd? Perhaps stick with classic cuts but play with the fabric, going for a metallic or whimsical print.
Suits to check out:
- This adorable two-toned one-piece from Flagpole has it all: boning and removable cups for support, a tie-front to perfect your fit, removable straps and UPF 50 fabric.
- This bikini from For Love & Lemons checks all the boxes for trendiness and wearability: waterproof lace, plenty of coverage on the bottom, and it’s in this seasons “it” color: lilac.
- Pretend you’re a Hollywood starlette from bygone days in this uber-feminine one-piece from Reformation.
Every swimsuit looks better when you’re confident in your body
One of our favorite things about swimwear trends for 2018 is that there’s something to appeal to every taste and flatter every body, regardless of shape, size or preferred way to spend a summer day! But if there’s something you’d like to change to feel more confident in your body, we’re here to help.
Some of our most popular beach body solutions, such as Cellfina cellulite reduction, BodyTite minimally invasive lipo and skin tightening, CoolSculpting fat reduction, and laser hair removal, don’t require surgery or much (if any) downtime. We’re also excited to announce that BodyTite minimally invasive, radiofrequency assisted liposuction is coming soon to PSCHR. BodyTite sculpts away fat and tightens skin without visible scars and with only a fraction of the recovery time of traditional surgery. It’s a great option for upper arm lifting, abdominal contouring, male breast reduction, and more.
We’ll be happy to talk to you about these and other procedures during a free consultation with one of our board certified plastic surgeons. Contact us today to request your appointment!